Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Tue, May 05 2009, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On May 05, Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> wrote:
>
>> Could you elaborate on the kind of "large changes" there are in Debian
>> to support this?
> I'd rather not change subject.

        This is not a change of subject. You are starting a haevy duty
 thread about changing how Debian does things, you need to provide
 motivation for even thinking of this change. Why should we bother?

>> > A partial list of invalid reasons is: [...]
>> How about: "my /usr is shared by many machines over NFS"?
> Do you actually *do* this?

        Sure.
> On how many systems?

        About 30 or so.

> How do you manage upgrades?

        I have nothing to manage. This is POSIX, after all. Once the
 partitions have been setup, what management is there to be done?

        manoj
--
Marriage is a great institution -- but I'm not ready for an institution
yet. Mae West