Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

Le mardi 05 mai 2009 à 17:24 +0100, Roger Leigh a écrit :
> That might have been a "traditional" reason for a shared /usr.
> However, the package manager can't cope with this setup since
> you have some components of a package installed locally and
> some remotely for all systems using the "shared" part.  It's
> an impossible situation to actually cater for in real life.
> Has anyone ever actually *done* this?

Of course, you just need to think the image you actually update as a
master image, after which it is replicated by any means necessary (be it
systemimager or NFS).

As for NFS, I’d use root NFS instead of complicating my life with two
different methods for / and /usr, but I guess some are doing it this
way.

> Looking at GNU/Hurd, /usr is a symlink to /.  If we were to make
> /usr non-separable, maybe this would be the way to go.

Quite true. If we stop supporting /usr on a separate partition, it
entirely removes the need for /usr.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :