Re: Two watch files-related MBFs

Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> Raphael Geissert wrote:
>>
>> Once I file the bug reports I will be giving about two weeks before I
>> remove the hack from DEHS and later from the DDPO. The lintian check has
>> been around for many months now and it has given maintainers enough time
>> to prepare an upload to fix some bugs on their packages so I don't see
>> the need to wait any longer than that.
>
> two weeks are not debian period ;-)

The only annoyance that could be caused is that the Debian version would be
considered as newer than upsteam's. And like I said: this is a hack, if you
run uscan on the source package's tree uscan will say that it couldn't find
Debian's version.

And like I said, there's a lintian check that has been in place for many
months now.

>> Version one watch files (actually versionless watch files) have been
>> considered  obsolete for more than two releases now. Since a lot of
>> special
>> casing code is needed to handle those  I would therefore like to file bug
>> reports against packages shipping that kind of watch files so that the
>> maintainers have a chance to make an upload before the code is removed
>> from uscan.
>>
>> A lintian check[2] has also been in place for many months now, and
>> according to it there are 60 packages in unstable/main with versionless
>> watch files.
>
> Are these bugs?

Versionless watch files are rigid, obsolete, and tend to break.

> I find no official documentation on format of debian/watch files.
> Thus, theoretically, you should change the tools and then you could fill
> the bugs (debian/watch not working).

James Vega already pointed you to uscan(1) :).

> BTW, on first proposed MBF you write about DEHS and DDPO, and on the
> second
> only about uscan.  I would like that the tools will behave in a similar
> manner (maybe with extra warnings on uscan).

DEHS uses uscan, and by removing the hack I mention on the first MBF
proposal DEHS would finally report exactly the same results as uscan.
DDPO also has the hack because DEHS only uses the hack to determine whether
a package is up to date or not, but the DDPO also indicates if Debian's
version is greater than upstream's, so it needs the hack as well.

About warnings:
--
uscan.pl warning: /tmp/libroxen-imho_watch1fpHQf is an obsolete version 1
watchfile; please upgrade to a higher version (see uscan(1) for details).

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert