Re: Should we still purge GConf schemas from the old directory?

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:52:14AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> a long time ago, packages using GConf used to ship schemas
> in /etc/gconf/schemas. Now, they are moved to /usr/share/gconf/schemas.
> However, during upgrades, dpkg would let the old file in place since it
> was a conffile. This is why dh_gconf still adds, in the postrm, a
> snippet to purge these conffiles if they still exist in the old place.

> I’m considering asking for the removal of this snippet, since it is only
> useful for those having upgraded a pre-woody system all along. While I’m
> one of those doing that, I’m not sure there are as many people like
> that, and I guess they could live with some file left over if they have
> already been left over for so many years.

Removing that snippet would be fair; but I don't think this transition has
actually been managed very well, since on a system that's been upgraded
continuously since woody I now see that /etc/gconf/schemas/ is full of
orphaned .schemas.  These should have been handled in the preinst of the
relevant packages when the conffiles were first dropped, to automatically
remove any unmodified conffiles.

It would be nice if packages that provided these files at one time would
take responsibility for cleaning them up now, late that it is.  I'm not sure
this could sensibly be done as a debconf snippet though.