Re: Outdated config.{sub,guess} package list

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Michal ??iha?? wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> napsal(a):

>>> Like lintian, your list falsely includes packages that use cdbs to build,
>>> which automatically updates config.{sub,guess}.

>> If you don't build depend on autotools-dev, nothing can be updated
>> (at least it was case for my package which uses dh).

> If you reautotoolize at build time, I believe automake does depend on
> autotools-dev and gives you updated files.  You don't necessarily have
> to build-depend on autotools-dev.

> And pure autoconf doesn't need config.sub/guess.  I don't recall if it can
> even use them, or if you need macros that come with automake for that
> though.

If you build-depend on any of:

    autotools-dev automake automaken automake1.4 automake1.7 automake1.8
    automake1.9 automake1.10

Lintian assumes that you're going to fix config.{sub,guess} at build
time and doesn't complain.  cdbs doesn't depend on any of those.  A
simple build dependency on cdbs therefore isn't sufficient to update
those files.  You have to add an additional build dependency on one of
those packages or config.{sub,guess} won't be updated on a buildd that
doesn't install recommends.

I don't think there's any problem with Lintian here.  I think there are
some buggy CDBS packages where the maintainer thought they were getting
auto-update because they were installing packages with aptitude and
hence getting recommends, but that doesn't work on the buildds.