Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Le mercredi 15 avril 2009 à 10:25 +0200, Bjørn Mork a écrit :
> False.  All users want all things to work.  The "just" is nice to have,
> but not important.  It's infinitely better to have to configure things
> than not being able to.

Bullshit. This is just true for nerds who want to spend their whole time
tweaking their computers. Remember, there are also people who use them
as tools.

> hal breaks existing working configurations without warnings.  The simple
> test case is using a non-US keyboard properly configured as such in
> xorg.conf.  Introduce evdev/hal and watch users get frustrated.  The
> problem of course:  keyboard layout cannot be auto-configured.  But why
> ignore existing configuration?

Existing configuration is not ignored. If you encounter a problem during
the upgrade, you can just send a bug report to console-setup; the bug
that occurred on my system was fixed in two days by the maintainers, so
you can’t say they ignore issues.

> The same goes for the suspend/resume support.  I have an existing
> working configuration, using acpi-support and pm-utils.  There is
> absolutely no upside to me moving this to hal and some power-daemon.  It
> just obfuscates the configuration, making GUI configuration utilities
> mandatory and leaving me reading c++ bloat instead of some simple shell
> script to find out why things didn't work as expected.

If the only thing you want is suspend/resume, you can replace the power
daemon with a simple script that talks to HAL using D-Bus. You would
also be disappointed at reading what the “C++ bloat” does on this
matter.

> Just my .02 € as an ordinary user.

Ordinary users don’t read shell scripts to find out why things don’t
work as expected.

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :