Re: Transition of initscripts to new order / sequence number

On Thursday 19 March 2009 00:35:06 Jan Wagner wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> while thinking about how to solve #508189, where I need to change the position
> of the initscript in bootorder, I thought it would not sufficient to change
> only the call of dh_installinit in the rules file.
>
> If an user changed the symlinks, I guess I will break his changes. How should
> we handle this? Is there any best practise and/or policy how we should deal
> with it? I think it's not usefull just to override the changes by the local
> sysadmin.
>
> Thanks for your hints, Jan.

An update-rc.d interface for this was proposed here [0]. An analogous solution
would need to be provided for dependency based boot (insserv diverts
update-rc.d) and any other boot system in Debian which diverts update-rc.d.

Thanks, Kel.

[0] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-sysvinit-devel/2008-September/002865.html