Re: Why do we have to support tmpfs for /var/run (policy changes in 3.8.1)

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> Afaik, Ubuntu is the only Linux distro which supports and uses tmpfs by default.

The OpenEmbedded distros do this too, I've especially seen that the
ones associated with OpenMoko do that.

In addition the pkg-fso folk's Debian for OpenMoko installer script
puts /var/run, /var/lock on a tmpfs and presumably when d-i supports
the OpenMoko devices that will be the default on such devices.

> Again, if there would be a list of cons, I'd be much happier in supporting this
> new policy. Unfortunately I only see disadvantages.

I guess you mean pros rather than cons. One would be that it reduces
the number of useless writes to disk/flash, which could be important
for mobile situations like phones.

--
bye,
pabs