Re: Request for Comments: Standardize enabling/disabling of system services

Le mercredi 01 avril 2009 à 17:03 +0200, Patrick Schoenfeld a écrit :
> * We add a new configuration file (possibly /etc/rc.conf because thats
>   a file that exists in different distributions and has a similar meaning)
>   which can have the following configuration settings:
>
>    * RUN_NEW_SERVICES_AFTER_INSTALL=<yes|no|1|0|true|false>
>    * RUN_<SERVICE>=<yes|no|1|0|true|false>
>
>   This configuration file must not be modified by maintainer scripts.
>   The rationale for the RUN_<SERVICE> entries is that an admin can have
>   RUN_NEW_SERVICES_ON_INSTALL=false, but decide for a certain service
>   that it shall start after he installed it before.

I think it is a bad idea to specify system-wide whether certain services
can be enabled or not.

Some services absolutely need to be running when they are installed, to
satisfy dependencies (think D-Bus or HAL). Some services cannot run
before they are configured (think a firewall).

I like the homogenization part of your proposal, but the default policy
should be set by packages themselves, not by the local administrator.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :