Re: Install-info transition, review time

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 07:21:15AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Also, is the new dpkg going to Pre-Depend: on this new install-info package?
> > If not, what does this /usr/sbin/install-info wrapper script do when called
> > and /usr/bin/install-info is absent?  Packages currently call install-info
> > from their maintainer scripts unconditionally, because it's provided by an
> > Essential package.

> Triggers will replace such maintainer script calls,

Not instantaneously!  This needs to include a sane transition plan.  "Don't
worry, we'll use triggers" is not.

> IIRC the remaining install-info script is to provide support until all
> the packages using maintainer scripts calls migrate to using triggers
> for their info documents.

Which means install-info must be reliably present on the system until that
transition is finished.  Which means dpkg needs to Pre-Depend on
install-info.