Clarification about the project of machine-readable copyright files.

Dear all,

there has been a lot of talk about the machine-readable format. The wiki page
on which the proposal was started attracted almost 500 modifications, but for
this reason became progressively unreadable with time. We (Steve Langasek, Noah
Slater and I) are currently preparing a synthethic version as a DEP (Debian
Enhancement Proposal) that addresses all comments sent to the page, and the
ones sent to this list as well. The basis for establishing the list of DEP
drivers was simply to contact the persons who volunteered in December's thread
on debian-devel@l.d.o. Please contact us and accept our apologies if you think
you have been forgotten.

The page on the wiki is not the place for modification anymore and has been
marked as such. We are preparing the final draft on the subversion repository
of Alioth's DEP group. Our work in progress is not secret work, everybody can
have a look at it, but for the moment it would not be respectful for the time
of the broad audience on debian-devel@l.d.o or debian-project@l.d.o to ask
everybody to read and comment it. We are working everyday on making the draft
becoming a real proposal.

I hope that we can send an announcement on debian-devel-announce to start the
formal DEP discussions soon.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy