Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

Joerg Jaspert wrote:

>>> No. It is not up to the Debian maintainer to decide that some
>>> contributor has written enough of the code to also be mentioned in the
>>> (C) lines in a particular file. But as soon as upstream lists them
>>> either in a file header or the AUTHORS file the Debian maintainer has to
>>> copy that information into debian/copyright.
>> This is an absolute waste of time.
>
> As your mail is.
>
> Honestly, if you cant deal with listing the Authors/(C) holders - dont
> maintain a package. It is not much work to list them.

Of course it is, take for an example #486340, which took 3-4 hours. And
the Intel-Xserver is tiny in comparison to xulrunner or KDE.

You fail to give a rationale why it's actually needed. In the above example
even a company-driven upstream (Intel, VA Linux, Tungsten) didn't bother
to collect copyright information, so WTF should we do it?

Cheers,
        Moritz