Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:35:02AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> IMHO it is about not getting hung up on the process but considering the
> reasoning behind the process. AFAICT, there is no good reason to
> document every single copyright holder but there are very good reasons
> to document every applicable LICENCE.
>
> As a sponsor, I do *not* require that every single copyright holder is
> listed in debian/copyright. I *do* require that every file in the
> source package has been checked for the applicable LICENCE and that all
> such LICENCES are declared in debian/copyright along with clear
> identification of which files use which licence. Where there is a clear
> division between copyright holders and licences, I would expect that
> the sections of debian/copyright dealing with files under that licence
> specify that the files are Copyright foo rather than Copyright bar
> that applies elsewhere. If some names and / or email addresses fall
> through the gaps, so be it.

This seems entirely reasonable.

If we can include copyright holder names without much trouble then I think we
should out of courtesy, but I shouldn't imagine that it must be a requirement.
There is no reason why you couldn't adopt this approach with the proposal.