Re: net-tools future

Hi,

On Samstag, 21. März 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Err, isn't munin a hugely complex beasty, that has to be
>  configured for the network, and usually lives on a signle machine and
>  polls others? and does alerting and graphing and is a pain to
>  configure?

actually you just do "sudo apt-get install munin munin-node" and point your
webbrowser to http://127.0.0.1/munin/ and are done for a single host. for
multiple hosts its editing one file on the node to allow the server to access
it, and tell the server to do so (by editing another simple file).

Configuring extra plugins is a bit more work, though many services munin can
monitor are autoconfigured. (And configuring a plugin involves creating a
link to activate the plugin and then putting some configuration in
into /etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/ - usually stuff like the disk to monitor by
the smart plugin or the credentials to access databases or such.)

Really not a big deal.

>         Am I missing something, since munin is seen as a replacement for
>  netstat?

You missed what Luk pointed out, but I felt like clarifying the above as
well :-)

regards,
	Holger