Re: abiword package lacks maintenance

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 02:27:51AM +0900, Masayuki Hatta wrote:

> > the abiword package, maintained by mhatta and joshk, could
> > definitely use some more care. The version that is in Debian was
> > released back in Nov 2006 [1], and it currently includes a grave bug
> > that makes the package nearly unusable on amd64 [2].
>
> > [1] http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/
> > [2] http://bugs.debian.org/514525
>
> Well, the current Debian version is 2.6.4 (in stable and unstable),
> released in 13-Jul-2008.  Seems Ubuntu Hardy somehow has 2.4.6, which
> was released in Nov. 2006 and is definitely a really old version.  I
> guess you confused that with Debian.

Sorry for the wrong accusation. Indeed 2.6.4 and 2.4.6 (and nothing
inbetween) appearing everywhere on the QA page confused me. Sorry!

> > As already mentioned, the package is not very up-to-date, which is
> > why I'd offer to take it over. As maintainer of the eboard package,
> > I already have some experience in packaging and with the BTS.
>
> I'm planning to form a maintenance team for abiword, move debian/ to
> Alioth and use SVN or Git extensively.  How do you think?

Sounds good to me, I'm hereby offering co-maintainership. Josselin Mouette
pointed out the possibility of using the Debian-GNOME infrastructure [1]
(SVN) earlier—the mail didn't reach the list apparently. Personally,
though, I prefer Git by far.

[1] http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/

Before migrating to a VCS, one might consider splitting the source
package. It seems a bit awkward to have four separate source tarballs in
one source package, which then builds four separate binary packages
again. Do you agree?

Kind regards,
Patrik