abiword package lacks maintenance

Hi,

the abiword package, maintained by mhatta and joshk, could definitely
use some more care. The version that is in Debian was released back in
Nov 2006 [1], and it currently includes a grave bug that makes the
package nearly unusable on amd64 [2].

[1] http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/514525

Abiword is a word processor for GNOME, with a simpler interface and less
functionality than e.g. OpenOffice.org Writer.

According to db.debian.org, both maintainers seem to be on vacation.  I
have been trying to contact them more than a month ago, without reply.
Could a DD check whether they are planning to return sometime soon?

As already mentioned, the package is not very up-to-date, which is why
I'd offer to take it over. As maintainer of the eboard package, I
already have some experience in packaging and with the BTS.

Please CC me in replies, as I'm not subscribed to the list (though
reading it on-line).

Kind regards,
Patrik Fimml