Re: Gratituous dependences among packages

hi,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:33:55PM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:
> My wish is that modularization of Debian packages be improved.  It means
> that it'll be possible to uninstall all games in a PC and continue to
> have functioning KDE.  Likewise - TeX.

in cases where it can function without the extra package, a Recommends: is
more appropriate than a Depends: and can give you a system where you have
this option (i.e. for most users apt brings in recommends by default, but
you can opt out of that or later remove the packages).

I don't know enough about this specific context, but if you indeed feel
this is the case with packages that you encounter, you're encouraged to
file wishlist bugs asking dependencies to be downgraded to recommends.

	sean