Gratituous dependences among packages

At the encouragement of Luk Claes, I would like to raise this subject in
the general mailing list.

It has been my impression that when using aptitude and requesting to
install/upgrade desktops (KDE, maybe also Gnome), several other
packages, which don't interest me, are installed as well.  They cause a
bloat to the installation and longer upgrade times in the future.

I agree with Luk that it is reasonable to recommend the installation of
games, texlive-* and other goodies with packages like KDE and Gnome.  My
problem is that the desktop packages REQUIRE the cruft.

Example:
kde depends on kdegraphics (will be broken without this dependence)
  kdegraphics depends upon kdvi (will be broken without this dependence)
    kdvi depends upon some texlive-* packages

So satisfying those dependences would pull in lots of texlive stuff,
even if one has no need for TeX related files.

My wish is that modularization of Debian packages be improved.  It means
that it'll be possible to uninstall all games in a PC and continue to
have functioning KDE.  Likewise - TeX.

                                                --- Omer

--
You haven't made an impact on the world before you caused a Debian
release to be named after Snufkin.

I may be affiliated in any way.