Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:33:41 +1100
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > I find the structure [in the proposed copyright file format] makes
> > it far easier to write and check than the free-form chaos of many
> > existing files. What would you have removed from the format to
> > reduce the time for writing and checking it?
> I completely disagree - the current version of the wiki page is
> utterly incomprehensible and inconsistent.

That's a non sequitur; the morass of discussion on that wiki page
*obscures* the format for someone trying to read it, but is not *part
of* the format. The format itself has (IMO) the properties I

> It's no wonder that maintainers coming to debian-mentors are
> confused.

Certainly, but only (I argue) because the wiki page is currently a

The page mentions, in several places now, the desire to set up a
discussion forum to continue the discussion away from the page; once
that's set up I'll be happy to pitch in and clear the weeds from that

 \        “Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code |
  `\     will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.” —John |
_o__)                                                         F. Woods |
Ben Finney