Re: Breaking /emul/ia32-linux for squeeze

Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:36:17PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:

>> Note that apt-cross and ia32-apt-get can be used already to install
>> multiarch with a certain amount of hacks and failures. Converting
>> packages to multiarch layout would remove the need for those hacks and
>> remove the failures. So everything can be tested even without dpkg
>> having the final support for it. The final solution could even be to
>> just do the on-the-fly conversion of package metadata directly in apt
>> and dpkg without touching anything else.
>
> I do not trust on-the-fly conversion, this will only create problems. We
> have to add a tag to debian/control saying "multiarch compliant
> package".

Yes, we need that tag. Given the tag the conversion would then filter
out the packages with the right tag and convert the metadata of the
package accordingly. Guessing what that tag should be is currently one
of the hacks in ia32-apt-get that can go wrong.

MfG
        Goswin