Re: net-tools future

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 22:25 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 01:08:04PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
[...]
> >  I fail to see the value of removing mii-tool.  I'd rather see just the
> >  non-working features removed in favour of an ethtool recommendation.
>
> It doesn't recognise 1G and 10G links, so its speed reporting is broken.

I was mistaken - the Debian package has a patch to add 1G support.
Ethernet 10G PHYs have a much larger MDIO register set and there is no
standard for addressing these through ioctls (something else I'd like to
fix).  But I'll admit that they are rare as yet.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.