Re: net-tools future

Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org> writes:

> Problematic tools:
>  * mii-tool: it could be dropped and replaced by a pointer to ethtool as
> it's not meant to be used automatically by scripts. On the other hand,
> it's distributed as a stand-alone tool [0] and we could do the same.

A couple of notes:

 mii-tool and ethtool use different driver interfaces which I'm pretty
 sure aren't completely overlapping for all drivers in the kernel

 mii-tool may not be meant for scripts, but I for one have used it in
 the past to force speed/duplex like this:

    iface eth1 inet static
         address 10.122.226.9
         netmask 255.255.255.192
         up /sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth1

 I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

 I fail to see the value of removing mii-tool.  I'd rather see just the
 non-working features removed in favour of an ethtool recommendation.

Bjørn