Re: Mass bugfiling in preparation for multiarch

Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:

> If you want to get some more multiarch ennemies, this is clearly the way
> to go.
>
> The alternate method is to post a list to debian-devel, and when we have
> a basic multiarch support, you may start thinking about filling bugs.
> Not before.

Well, regardless of the benefits for multiarch, library packages
containing binaries that don't change names with different SONAMEs violate
a Policy must at present.  So either they're RC bugs or Policy is wrong
about the severity.

It's a theoretical problem in libc6 in particular since the chances of
libc6 changing SONAMEs again is low and there would be a lot of other work
to have to do to deal with that apart from the binaries in /usr/bin, but
the situation for other libraries is much more concrete.  I've already
filed an RC bug about this in one other package that I ran into.  I think
such bugs are fair game regardless of whether or not we're trying to
implement multiarch (with the normal caveats about mass bug filing).

If the file does change with SONAME, that's a different matter, and that
part depends more on our multiarch direction.