Splitting of the gnome-python* source packages - MBF

Hi,

the gnome-python, gnome-python-desktop and gnome-python-extras packages
are collections of Python modules that are not necessarily related. It
was more and more requested to split them more logically, and this is
what I have done now that upstream plans are a bit clearer.

According to the changes in the binary packages, maintainers now need to
update their dependencies. The result of an automatic search of which
packages import which modules can be found on the wiki:
        http://wiki.debian.org/GnomePythonSplitting
(I can provide the very ugly scripts to run on merkel to generate such
things on demand.)

1. GNOME-PYTHON

What is in unstable now:
      * python-gconf contains the gconf module
      * python-gnome2 contains the gnomevfs, gnome, gnome.ui,
        gnomecanvas, and bonobo modules

What will change upstream:
      * It’s very likely that gnome-python is deprecated upstream when
        GNOME 3.0 is released.
      * The gconf module will then probably move in a new source
        package, as it is the only of these APIs that is not going away.

What changes to apply to Debian packages:
      * If your package only uses gconf and not the other modules, you
        should switch it to only depend on python-gconf. It will
        immediately reduce the list of library dependencies, and will
        help reducing it further later on.
      * The python-gnome2 → python-gconf dependency will remain, so no
        need to update the other packages.

I propose to file wishlist bugs on the packages that can move to using
python-gconf.

2. GNOME-PYTHON-DESKTOP

What is in unstable now:
      * Every module has been moved to its own package.
      * The python-gnome2-desktop package is now only a metapackage.

What will change upstream:
      * It’s likely that some modules will disappear (gnomeprint,
        gtksourceview, nautilusburn), while most won’t.

What changes to apply to Debian packages:
      * To ease management of the multiple modules, the
        python-gnome2-desktop metapackage is *going away* before the
        squeeze release.
      * All packages must be updated to not depend on
        python-gnome2-desktop but on the individual modules.

I propose to file important bugs on all packages depending on
python-gnome2-desktop, making them RC once the package is removed (not
until at least a few months, though).

3. GNOME-PYTHON-EXTRAS

What is happening in unstable:
      * egg.trayicon, gtkhtml2 and gtkmozembed each have their own
        binary package (python-eggtrayicon, python-gtkhtml2,
        python-gtkmozembed)
      * gksu 1.X is going away (nothing uses it anyway)
      * gda is going away, at least for a while
      * gtkspell will have its own binary package (currently in NEW)

What will change upstream:
      * It’s very hard to tell, these modules don’t seem to change much.
      * Most of them have better replacements, so other packages should
        really get of these dependencies anyway.

What changes to apply to Debian packages:
      * To simplify the dependency tree, the dependencies of
        python-gnome2-extras on python-eggtrayicon, python-gtkhtml2 and
        python-gtkmozembed are going away, probably right after the
        squeeze release.
      * Therefore, packages using these modules *must* be updated to use
        the new binary package as dependency instead.

Bugs have already been filed for egg.trayicon, gtkhtml2 and gtkmozembed.
I propose to complete them with gtkspell bugs and to make them
important. They would become serious before the squeeze release.

LIST OF AFFECTED PACKAGES

Adam Cécile (Le_Vert) <gandalf@le-vert.net>
   exaile (U)

Nicolas FRANCOIS (Nekral) <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>
   virtaal

David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>
   ows

Moray Allan <moray@debian.org>
   straw (U)

Tom Cato Amundsen <tca@debian.org>
   solfege

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
   tracker

Adolfo González Blázquez <code@infinicode.org>
   cameramonitor
   pyrenamer

Salvatore Bonaccorso <salvatore.bonaccorso@gmail.com>
   giplet

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>
   infon-devel

Luca Bruno <lethalman88@gmail.com>
   freespeak

Luca Bruno <lucab@debian.org>
   istanbul

Ross Burton <ross@debian.org>
   meld
   nautilus-python
   postr

Debian Bazaar Maintainers <pkg-bazaar-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   bzr-gtk

Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   accerciser (U)
   deskbar-applet
   epiphany-extensions (U)
   gedit-plugins (U)
   gnome-games (U)
   hamster-applet (U)
   hotwire (U)
   meld (U)
   nautilus-python (U)
   ontv (U)
   update-manager

Debian OLPC <debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   sugar
   sugar-toolkit
   sugar-web-activity

Cédric Delfosse <cedric@debian.org>
   gaphor

Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
   gedit-plugins (U)
   gnome-games (U)
   ontv (U)
   service-discovery-applet

Decklin Foster <decklin@red-bean.com>
   pygmy

Pedro Fragoso <ember@ubuntu.com>
   hamster-applet

Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org>
   gtimelog (U)

Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>
   deskbar-applet (U)

François Févotte <francois.fevotte@ensta.org>
   exaile

Jeremy Guitton <debotux@free.fr>
   ontv

Dafydd Harries <daf@debian.org>
   gtimelog (U)

Uwe Hermann <uwe@debian.org>
   miro

Varun Hiremath <varun@debian.org>
   pychess

Philipp Kaluza <pk+debs@yomu.de>
   pida

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>
   timer-applet

Julian Andres Klode <jak@jak-linux.org>
   gimmie

martin f. krafft <madduck@debian.org>
   jppy (U)

Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org>
   accerciser

Julien Lavergne <julien.lavergne@gmail.com>
   avant-window-navigator
   awn-extras-applets
   screenlets

Yann Leboulanger <asterix@lagaule.org>
   gajim

Clement Lorteau <northern_lights@users.sourceforge.net>
   gtkvncviewer

Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@debian.org>
   pida (U)

Maintainers of GStreamer packages <pkg-gstreamer-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   elisa-plugins-good

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>
   gtimelog

Loic Minier <lool@dooz.org>
   elisa-plugins-good (U)
   gedit-plugins
   meld (U)
   nautilus-python (U)
   pitivi
   service-discovery-applet (U)
   update-manager (U)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@ubuntu.com>
   decibel-audio-player
   emesene
   nautilus-python (U)
   scribes
   update-manager (U)

Sam Morris <sam@robots.org.uk>
   serpentine

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
   epiphany-extensions
   gedit-plugins (U)
   gnome-games
   hamster-applet (U)
   hotwire
   update-manager (U)

Philippe Normand <philippe@fluendo.com>
   elisa-plugins-good (U)

Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>
   griffith

Thibaut Paumard <paumard@users.sourceforge.net>
   update-manager (U)

Adriaan Peeters <apeeters@lashout.net>
   music-applet

Frederic Peters <fpeters@debian.org>
   gnome-blog

Nicholas C Piper <nick-debian@nickpiper.co.uk>
   jppy (U)

Norbert Preining <preining@debian.org>
   jppy (U)

Andy Price <andy@andrewprice.me.uk>
   pybackpack

Python Applications Packaging Team <python-apps-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   decibel-audio-player (U)
   emesene (U)
   pybackpack (U)
   screenlets (U)
   scribes (U)

Arnaud Quette <aquette@debian.org>
   elisa-plugins-good (U)

Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>
   istanbul (U)
   jokosher

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
   update-manager (U)

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
   sugar (U)
   sugar-toolkit (U)
   sugar-web-activity (U)

Joseph Smidt <jsmidt@byu.edu>
   gmail-notify

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo@debian.org>
   conduit

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net>
   xword

jppy development team <jppy-devel@zanu.org.uk>
   jppy

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org>
   keysafe

James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org>
   gramps

Andrea Veri <bluekuja@ubuntu.com>
   cgmail

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@debian.org>
   bzr-gtk (U)

Hanna Wallach <hmw26@cam.ac.uk>
   straw

Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org>
   pychess (U)

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :