HD TV as Monitor

I have a Samsung 42" HD TV. It has a connector for a computer monitor
input, and I have been trying to get a computer hooked up to use it as
a monitor with little luck. If the machine runs Windows it will use
the monitor correctly as a display. If I run Damn Small it will
display, but the bottom portion of the screen is below the bottom of
the TV screen. Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Debian all produce "Mode Not
Supported" messages on the TV but produce no display. If I try to use
the Debian Install disk to create a new system, the boot up stuff
displays fine, but when it gets to the first installation screen the
text is diagonally ripped and unreadable.

On one of my laptops, even in windows there is no display. (I assume
that the graphics card in that machine doesn't support the screen
modes necessary.

On the machine where windows works, I assume the graphics card is
capable, and I only need a functional MODE line in the config file.

At work we use wide screen TVs as monitors in meetings where groups
need to view the screen, but then we only have Windows machines
there...

Does anyone have any idea what the mode line should look like for these devices?

I also want to take this time to thank you all for the great advances
that Debian has made since I retired from the group the hardware
detection and automated update processes are truly wonderful! And,
thank you for keeping Spider in the distribution, I really appreciate
it!

Please CC me on all responses as I am not currently signed up to this
mailing list.

Luck,

Dwarf