Re: Breaking /emul/ia32-linux for squeeze

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:10:13PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> But moving the 32-bit libs to /usr/lib32 does not make us
> standards-conformant on amd64, because the FHS (yuckily) standardized on
> storing the *32-bit* libs in /usr/lib on this architecture, with 64-bit libs
> in /usr/lib64.

That is actually beneficial if we wanted to merge both architectures into
one, which would IMO be the sanest thing to do, since it'd allow us to get
rid of a lot of special cases (for example, uclibc has a mapping mechanism
that finds out if we're building with -m32 on amd64 and uses the config for
i386 then, and vice versa -- the entire mechanism could be dropped if we
had an unified arch with 32 and 64 bit variants).

I am not convinced that using triplets will gain us anything, since a lot
of arches have incompatible ABIs without using different triplets for them
(IIRC PowerPC has support for big and little endian processes on the same
system)

Rather, I think we should be using the same names that gcc uses for its
multilibs for runtime libraries, and triplets for cross building. These
mechanisms are orthogonal, so I can have /usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/thumb
as a directory for Thumb libraries.

To a certaint extent, multilibs overlap with CPU feature flags, so I wonder
if these mechanisms should be unified as well (I'm not even sure there are
64-bit PowerPCs without AltiVec).

   Simon