Re: MPI binaries location

Jean Parpaillon wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently packaging hpcc (HPC Challenge Benchmark). Several binary
> packages will be available, each one with different mpi implementations. Is
> there a preferred place to put mpi binaries ? I've seen that each mpi
> implementation has it's own bin/lib/share/include/etc hierarchy into
> /usr/lib/<mpi>
>
> Should I put the binaries into it ?
>

> Regards,

Generally, a standalone issue of (for example) MPICH will put elements
in /usr/include, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, etc. On one-off servers where I
want multiple libraries available, everything is prefixed into a custom
directory under /usr/local (/usr/local/mpich-1.2.7, for example). At
first I used a homebrew script to switch between each, but this is now
possible using a more polished program. See http://modules.sf.net for
more. Note that this approach is important for cases where different
compilers are used. This is not a stipulated requirement in your note.

The prebuilt deb packages for OpenMPI, LAM, and MPICH are patched to
label the build scripts differently (mpicc becomes mpicc.lam) and
install the libraries and headers in subdirectories as well. Further
management is performed using the alternatives process. Perhaps such a
method would work for what you intend.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs