Re: inetd's status in Debian

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:44:06AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 10, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Btw, lots of packages are depending on update-inetd while it's
> > guaranteed to be available when depending on inet-superserver.
> Indeed, this is broken. IIRC some helpful soul started reporting "bugs"
> asking to depend on update-inetd too...

That remembers me a point: maybe it makes sense having a debhelper
dh_ script to manage automagically the call to update-inetd when available
or eventually warn the user to install update-inetd and update
inetd/xinetd configuration manually, when update-inetd is NOT available.
That would avoid to depend on update-inetd or inet-superserver at all
Having a snippet of code like that replicated for every package is pointless.
Also, update-inetd is a very partial solution for managing superserver
configurations, but that's another problem...

--
Francesco P. Lovergine