Bug#518803: ITP: xz -- Attempt to make LZMA compression easy to use
Owner: "Mohammed Adnène Trojette" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Package name : xz
Version : 4.999.8beta
Upstream Author : Lasse Collins
* URL : http://tukaani.org/xz/
* License : - public domain (src/liblzma/check, tests/files)
- LGPL 2.1 (the rest of src/)
- GPL (2 or 3, depending on which file outside src/)
Programming Lang: C
Description : Attempt to make LZMA compression easy to use
XZ Utils consist of a few relatively separate parts:
- liblzma is an encoder/decoder library with support for several
filters (algorithm implementations). The primary filter is LZMA.
- libzfile (or whatever the name will be) enables reading from and
writing to gzip, bzip2 and LZMA compressed and uncompressed files
with an API similar to the standard ANSI-C file I/O.
[ NOTE: libzfile is not implemented yet. ]
- xz command line tool has almost identical syntax than gzip
and bzip2. It makes LZMA easy for average users, but also
provides advanced options to finetune the compression settings.
- A few shell scripts make diffing and grepping LZMA compressed
files easy. The scripts were adapted from gzip and bzip2.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)