Re: Installing accessibility packages by default?

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:33:29AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> [Sorry to debian-accessibility people, re-sending with proper To:]
>
> Hello,
>
> It has been suggested a few times (471410, 511329, 516723) to
> add an "accessibility" item to tasksel, which would e.g. install
> gnome-accessibility.  The task would be automatically selected when
> accessibility features was used during d-i itself.
>
> However, Mario Lang raised:
>
> `While it is a possible approach to have the installer explicitly
> select packages for the users who are going to use the machine,
> it is also obvious that an administrator might not know in advance
> that a person with special needs is going to use this machine.
> If we think this through, we realize that what would be most desireable
> is to have accessibility infrastructure installed by default on a
> default desktop, so that a person with special needs can just activate
> it at login time if they need to.'
>
> `What if, for example, you walk up to a friend/coworker and talk about
> some issue.  You end up wanting to show them something, so you'd
> actually like to login on tehir Linux machine with accessibility enabled
> so that you can work together on the project.  However, since nobody
> thought their machine would ever be used by a disabled person, the
> necessary software would not be installed.'

What does it take to "enable" them?

Furthermore, if you're a blind person using KDE, what good would it do
for you that dasher is installed on the system?

That is: accessibility sounds to me a bit like l10n: normally no point
in installing all of it. Most potential users would need just part of
it.