Re: Prefix level in Quilt patches

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > My first impression is that, if buxy can't handle a ‘-p0’ patch,
> > that's a bug.

My apologies, I thought ‘buxy’ was perhaps the name of some service on
the Debian project infrastructure.

> The reason you cannot use -p0 with dpkg-source 3.0 (quilt) source
> packages is because dpkg-source ignores options in the series file
> and expects patches were generated with -p1 or -pab, a quote from
> the dpkg-source manual page:
>
> Note however that while dpkg-source parses correctly series files
> with explicit options used for patch application (stored on each
> line after the patch filename and one or more spaces), it does
> ignore those options and always expect patches that can be applied
> with the -p1 option of patch. It will thus emit a warning when it
> encounters such options, and the build is likely to fail.

The question remains: If this is the behaviour of ‘dpkg-source’, I
consider it a bug. What is the reason for this explicit behaviour?

--
 \          “And if I laugh at any mortal thing, / 'Tis that I may not |
  `\               weep.” —“Lord” George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don Juan_ |