Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue Mar 03 13:38, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > Repeating false claims does not make them correct.
>
> Repeating that correct claims are false does not make them false.
>
> There is enough weight on the side that I have described that I believe
> it is in Debian's interest to follow them. After all, if we are wrong
> this way round we just miss out on some software. If we are wrong the
> other way round we might get sued.

Wrong

> Particularly in the case of cdrecord, I don't believe there is enough of
> a case that we absolutely must have it that we should take a risk on the
> licensing. If, on the other hand, you want your software in Debian, you
> need to take into account our point of view. After all, surely you agree
> that there is no problem with dual-licensing libscg? So what does it
> cost you? If you are not interested in having it in Debian then I'm
> unclear why you are posting to our mailing lists...

Attacks from Debian against the cdrtools project caused the license to be
changed. Debian now needs to live with this change.

> > Do you really like to tell us that compiling:
> >
> > main()
> > {
> > 	printf("hello world\n");
> > }
> >
> > makes libc a derived work of the program "hello world"?
>
> No, I am saying that the resulting binary of libc linked with hello
> world is a derivative work of both libc and hello world. You seem to
> have overlooked that in my previous post. There are three works here:

Wrong again, instead I explaind already you why this is not the case.
The act of compiling does not create a derived work.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)