Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> The fact that Debian does not currently distribute libschilly
>> further indicates that it isn't a System Library.
>
> This is a bit of chicken and egg isn't it?

No, because unlike the chicken and the egg,[0] if we take away
libshilly, we still have Debian and vice versa.

> I believe that you mean the above to apply to mkisofs, not to
> cdrtools, which is a bunch of different program. The programs which
> are purely CDDL I assume you have no problem with distributing
> (despite your discomfort with CDDL).

I actually haven't drawn a distinction between them because it's not
clear to me that Joerg is actually the copyright holder of every
single part of cdrtools, and thus may not actually be able to
relicense the parts that are claimed to be purely CDDLed. The solution
I proposed[1] would resolve even this ambiguity, which is why I didn't
bother to discuss it.

> Note that since the kernel is GPL2, not GPL3, I assume you meant
> GPL2 in the above.

No, I meant GPLv3, as I assume that's a more palletable license for
Joerg than GPLv2. It has nothing to do with the kernel. It doesn't
make any difference to me which version is chosen, though.

> I assume that you are not saying that Debian will only distribute
> GPL3 works.

That would be a correct assumption, since I didn't say that.

Don Armstrong

0: Clearly, if we were to take away the chicken, we'd soon have no
eggs (and vice versa).
1: I should note that I proposed this solution more than two and a
half years ago, so it's not like I'm saying anything new here:
The game of science is, in principle, without end. He who decides one
day that scientific statements do not call for any further test, and
that they can be regarded as finally verified, retires from the game.
 -- Sir Karl Popper _The Logic of Scientific Discovery_ §11