Re: Requirement for a “proper manpage” for every command

On Mon, Mar 02 2009, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> Simon Josefsson dijo [Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:22:52AM +0100]:
>> How about submitting a patch to use help2man instead?
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/help2man/>
>> Then the man page will be kept up to date with --help output.
>>
>> Possibly the document around the man page requirement could point to
>> help2man as a quick solution in case there is useful --help output but
>> no man page.
>
> Hmh, this could even be promoted as a "best packaging practice". Many
> authors do ship properly-formatted --help entries, and our
> hand-generated manpages can often linger behind the truth. Any strong
> opinions against?

        I would not call it best. Barely adequate, perhaps. Could do
 better, certainly.  Best practrice would be to write up a real man
 page, perhaps using the help2man as a starting point.

        manoj
--
Loan-department manager: "There isn't any fine print.  At these interest
rates, we don't need it."