Re: Is the FHS dead ?

On 2/24/09, Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:20:31AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>  >
>  > Interesting. And yes, illustrative of the historically (and, should I
>  > add, ridiculous? No, I'd better not ;-) ) rivality between Linux and
>  > the *BSDs, big egos included.
>

> Well, the last time we tried to make reasonable accomodations for
>  *BSD's, some of the biggest biggest whiners^H^H^H^H^H^H^H complaints
>  came from Debian.  In fact, some later complaints from Debianites
>  about the lack of /usr/libexec is largely the fault of Ian Jackson,
>  who ***strenuously*** opposed /usr/libexec on the mail thread which I
>  quoted.  In fact, as I recall, he threatened to rally all of Debian
>  NOT to support the FSSTND/FHS if we didn't drop /usr/libexec from the
>  draft spec.   Ah, history.....
>
>  The painful fact of the matter is that anytime a draft like the FHS
>  forces any distribution or OS to change, there will be opposition.  In
>  some cases it will be principled and constructive.  In other cases, it
>  will question the spec writers' technical judgement, ethics, and even
>  their paternity.
>

>  > However, Linux's position WRT the commercial Unixes has radically
>  > shifted in the last decade. Linux is no longer considered a toy, and
>  > is taken seriously into account. So, even with the big inertia that
>  > might hamper more than one initiative, perhaps the FHS could be pushed
>  > in collaboration with their respective companies? At least, I'd be
>  > surprised if -say- the Solaris or HPUX people weren't open to
>  > discussion leading to better interoperability.
>

> Last I heard, HPUX is on maintenance life-support, and they don't have
>  enough engineers to make sure their userspace is uptodate.
>
>  And as far as Solaris is concerned, they currently have a project to
>  update to a 16-year-old shell (ksh93) in their distribution.

FYI the latest version of ksh93 is from Feb 2009.
ksh93 was picked by Sun as new system shell in Solaris with a
competition between bash 3, bash 4, dash, ksh93, mksh, pdksh and zsh.
ksh93 is between 2 and 68 times faster than all other shells, conforms
to posix without the extra options such as the POSIXLY_CORRECT junk
and has a stable programming interface since 1993 (hence the name).

Josh