Re: DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

On Thursday 26 February 2009 08:08:50 Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:31:24PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > Further, we're definitely going to be giving people invitation
> > letters and other advice to make sure they present themselves in
> > the best (accurate) light they can to the visa or border officials,
> > as well as separate exaggeration from fact with regard to border
> > search and other privacy concerns so that people can make rational
> > decisions based on reality instead of sensationalism.
>
> Sensationalism like
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/08/us_government_p.html
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/crossing_border.html
> ?
Mr. Hommey,
I doubt Mr. Kaplowitz has the power to do anything much about the issues
you use someone elses blog to bring into the conversation,  no doubt you
have more clout to shape the french governments policies.
I would like to share this with you though. Ten years ago I married an
English lady and moved to the UK. I didn't bring my computers with me as
i planned to buy some when I settled, I did however bring disks, linux
cd's, etc. Immigration here insisted on knowing where my computers were
so that that they could inspect them...whether I had shipped them ahead
or they were coming later.  It took hours and hours. I found the whole
matter very comical on one one hand and very sad on the other. This was
some ten years ago and pre 9/11. My point is, in case you missed it, is
that the United States is not the only country in the world who has such
policies in place. If you doubt my point, stick your laptop in a
backback and come over to the UK.

I've used Debian for about ten years now, always been proud to say I
used it. In the course of the past few years though, the bickering on
the lists (particularly the political cheap shot like you just took)
have really worn on me. As I said, I'm just a normal user. Nobody
important, I mainly just read the list, help out at my local lug with
Debian installs and recommend Debian to everyone that asks about linux.
Your post though is pretty much the straw that broke the camels back. I
want to read and talk about linux and Debian.
Until DD's like you learn to leave the political sht at the door and
just discuss issues relevant to Debian, I'm off to another distrobution.
And don't worry, I won't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.