https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ (Re: DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA)

FYI:

Although people from many countries (Japan, Europe, ...) are not
required to have visa, US now requires to fill some web form in advance.
PLEASE do not forget to do Travel Authorization:

 https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Also ...

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:08:50AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:31:24PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > Further, we're definitely going to be giving people invitation letters and
> > other advice to make sure they present themselves in the best (accurate) light
> > they can to the visa or border officials, as well as separate exaggeration from
> > fact with regard to border search and other privacy concerns so that people can
> > make rational decisions based on reality instead of sensationalism.

I (non-US citizen) have crossed US border many times without any trouble
as a foreign resident and as a US resident.  I never had a problem.  So
this is just informational and nothing against US.

> Sensationalism like
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/08/us_government_p.html
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/crossing_border.html

Do not discount it.

I also have heard these stories of US government taking PC at the border
from my US acquaintances last year.  It happened on his friend coming
back to US from Asian business trip working for a big US company.  I got
an impression that it was somewhat selective for the country that person
have visited.  (not race or citizenship or employment association)  Just
an unfortunate incident.

I guess things like this happens these days and we just live with it in
calm.  I suggest to secure Debian GPG secret key or any other
important things in your PC when crossing any border not just US border.

Osamu