Accelerated video cards and non-free firmware

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a video card, and I want to know what video card
that has 3D acceleration to get.  Normally I'd ask on -users but as the
subject says I want to know what video cards will still have
acceleration when the non-free firmware is removed from the kernel,
which is supposed to happen for squeeze.

I had heard that the ATI cards, which would normally be my first
choice, have non-free firmware in the driver, which may be removed.  Is
this true, and if so what accelerated cards will have have acceleration
once non-free firmware is removed.

I can delay purchase (easily), if the answer to this is not yet known.

Thanks,

Daniel

P.S. I *am* subscribed to the list but would appreciated CC's anyway.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore