Re: Forthcoming changes in kernel-package

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 18 2009, Theodore Tso wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:14:49AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>         This is a heads up for a major change in kernel-package, the
>>>  tool to create user packaged kernel images and headers; which will
>>>  make the make-kpkg script far less error prone, and far more
>>>  deterministic.
>>>
>>>    a. Every invocation of kernel-package will remove ./debian directory,
>>>       and regenerate the changelog and control files. This will get rid
>>>       of any remaining issues with the ./debian directory getting out of
>>>       sync with the kernel sources; and will allow people to make small
>>>       tweaks to the kernel sources and have  make-kpkg reflect those
>>>       changes.
>>
>> Is there going to be a way for people to replace the changelog with
>> one that contains useful information in that case?  I've been doing
>> this by doing a make-kpkg configure and then editing the
>> debian/changelog file afterwards...>
>
>         I have a plan for something like this, though currently there is
>  no code. I was thinking of doing an "overlay" for ./debian, kind of
>  like what ikiwiki and request-tracker do; so /usr/share/kernel-package
>  contain the information that goes into ./debian; but if there is a user
>  specified overlay, then files present in the overlay are used instead
>  (files not in the overlay dir still come from the default location).

It might be nice to have a changelog.d/ directory in the source with
sniplets for the debian/changelog. All files would be cated together
and used as the text for the current changelog entry.

This would have two use cases:

1) Patch packages can drop a file in there (when the user applies the
   patch) saying what got applied.

2) Users can add their own files there detailing what they changed.
   E.g. '  * added CONFIG_SCSI_DISK=y'

As I write this I notice that (2) doesn't quite work. For my manual
entries I would like to specify a version. E.g. in 2.6.26-1 I added
CONFIG_SCSI_DISK=y, in 2.6.26-2 I added CONFIG_SCSI_CDROM=y and in
2.6.26-3 I removed it again.

But maybe that goes too far. Just being able to add to the current
entry would be a good start already.

MfG
        Goswin