Re: Post-Lenny discussion on packages with external (potentially non-free) dependencies

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 00:31 -0500, Michael S. Gilbert a écrit :
>> 2.  Components of the package may stop working in the midst of a
>> stable release's lifetime
>
> This is a problem that affects much more than this kind of packages. All
> packages relying on an external service are affected. For example, it’s
> hard to expect the totem youtube plugin to keep working for the lifetime
> of the etch release.
>
> If we find a solution to this kind of issues, it should apply to all
> packages in this situation.

Indeed, it's something to be discussed considering inclusion or not of
the package in the main, volatile and backports archives. Maybe it's one
of the discussions to put on the wiki page [1]?

Cheers

Luk

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DiscussionsAfterLenny