Re: Python related changes for unstable/squeeze

Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 15:03 +0100, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> > - Can you guys please finally sit down and agree on one solution for
> >   handling python modules? I still think that having two (slightly
> >   different) ways of doing this task is not the way to go. I really do
> >   not see technical reason for this situation. I have  no preference at
> >   all and I'm actually using both things in my packages, but I really
> >   do not think it is way to go. And it would be great if we can have
> >   single tool, which gets more testing and will have less bugs than
> >   current concurrent solutions.
>
> Ack. Please guys, get together, discuss it in a *sane* way (why do I fear that's
> not possible...) and merge both tools or drop both of them and do something else
> useful - together.

You really can’t say I’m not trying to discuss. But it takes at least
two persons to discuss, and Matthias has been ignoring all technical
discussions about Python packaging for years.

This is not a technical problem. The technical divergences can be solved
if consensus is reached about them or if a decision body (TC or GR)
forces them. This is purely a person problem: Matthias is clearly not
willing to maintain python-central correctly nor to make it evolve
according to the needs of developers. These are two very good reasons to
keep maintaining an alternative.

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :