Re: Is the FHS dead ?

Le mardi 17 février 2009 à 07:41 +0100, Giacomo Catenazzi a écrit :
> > Currently, the discussion is clearly happening at other levels. If you
> > look at the recent cgroups discussion for example, it will clearly be
> > decided at the distribution level, without any kind of standardization.
>
> Is not this the right thing to do?
>
> Standards should be most frozen as possible. I don't find a lot of
> think that need to be added.

Currently I see at least a clear need to add /sys, and another one to
allow pure 64bit hierarchies.

> Also for cgroups, I really hope that proposal come from distributions
> (and common usage). Only after one distribution use it, it need to
> be standardized.  IMHO standards should come from bottom.

I’m not saying that something like cgroups should be directly written in
stone to the standard. However the discussion should have taken place at
a cross-distribution level so that it could be standardized later, if
needed.

> Anyway, I think that we must give new live to fhs mailing list
> (also for discussion, not only for proposal).

Do you really want to subscribe to a list that only ships 50 spams/month
currently?

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :