Re: DDE, Debian Data Export

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 05:37:46PM +0100, Olivier Berger wrote:

> One of the criticisms I could make (and made live at your presentation
> @FOSDEM), is the lack of semantics (as in Semantic Web W3C standards)
> there (somehow what I mentioned also in
> http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/weblog/2009/02/10/udd-swim-flossmetrics-facts-databases-about-libre-software-distributions-going-semantic/ for the curious ones).
>
> I suppose I should try and propose an RDF export plugin for DDE to test
> and complement more precisely my criticism.

I gave it some thinking, and I'm still not convinced that it's the role
of DDE to enrich data with semantic information: the main aim of DDE is
to make it easy to find and acquire data, not to provide particular post
processing or enrichment to the data.

The idea would be to keep DDE as a very thin and simple interface layer
between where the data is and where the data is consumed.

Certainly DDE can be useful as the data acquisition backend of a tool
that adds structure to the data with semantic information: if getting at
the data becomes easier, such a tool would be easier to write.

> Note that SWIM @ Mandriva (see my blog post above) proposes some kind of
> similar service, where the use of ontologies supposedly help integrate
> it with desktop tools (KDE 4.2 nepomuk-enabled ones).
>
> In any case, very interesting tool, which I need to understand more
> deeply, I guess.

Thanks!  And I'd really like to see some structured data come out of
Debian: people have occasionally started some attempts, but I am not
aware of anyone that actually got all the way to publishing some result.

Ciao,

Enrico