Re: Data packages.

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:57:12AM +0100, Peter Palfrader a écrit :
>>
>> The data.debian.org thing is actually Joerg's proposal, he first raised
>> it at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/05/msg00970.html last
>> year.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> thanks for the pointer.
>
> I think that I will keep on exploring the possibility of distributing data in
> Debian binary format with no Debian source package for the moment.  Jorg's
> proposal just doubles the bandwith requirements for the uploads, and many
> databases are updated monthly… I plan to use our getData tool to update some
> mirrors locally, and build Debian packages from this. By the way, I am
> wondering about the possiblity to use hard links during this process to avoid
> unnecessary duplication of large files. Any hint ?
>
> My current plan is :
>
>  - Prepare a Debian Med image for the Amazon Elastic Computing Cloud, that
>   would only contain programs packaged in Debian, with the exception of
>   packages from backports.org, which I think are trustable enough even if they
>   are not official.
>
>  - From within the Amazon system, build binary packages of bioinformatical
>   data, and distribute them on the Amazon Simple Storage system, if it is
>   possible to open to the inside (free transfer), but not to the outside (costs
>   me money).
>
>  - See if people use the data packages in conjuction with the
>   unofficial-but-gpg-signed Debian Med image that I indend to prepare.
>
>  - Ask for sponsorship if it starts to cost too much :)
>

> Of course, help from people interested is most welcome! There are a few started
> threads on the debian-med mailing list, for which I have not found time to
> answer properly because my lack of progress: in parallel to this project there
> is a major update of BioPerl, that pulls many things by spaghetti effect. But
> be sure that I welcome all feedback!

Is there a capability of creating a mirror that would use torrent technology?

If you have these .deb packages that are big (could you list few, with
their sizes), I was under the assumption that having torrent mirror
was possible but rejected because most packages are small <1m. If
torrent mirror is possible then one could create big.debian.org which
would be a mirror of big packages that are distributed via torrent
only.

Let me know what options we have there.
Thanks,
Lucas