Re: Test suites after build and Build-Depends.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 06:50:05PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:00:46AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > However, while build dependency information is copied into the *.dsc
> > file, my understanding is that it's not read from that file for
> > package builds.
>
> ... while it could be, right?
> (question to the buildd / sbuild gurus)

The .dsc file is exactly where the information is read from.  See
fetch_source_files() in Sbuild/Build.pm.  This is for installing
and removing build-dependencies and build-conflicts, respectively.
Note that dpkg-buildpackage and other tools read debian/control
to check that the build-deps are satisfied in addition.

> This difference of treatment between binary and source stanzas has
> always puzzled me, but I'm not sure whether there is some deep
> technical reason for that, or rather is just that the current buildd
> implementations don't do that.

I always thought that there was a rather simpler practical reason:
substvars don't exist before a build starts, which is the point at
which we need to install the build-deps.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh