splitting yui

[was Re: is it a DFSG breach or not?]

Paul Wise writes:

(Please cc me on replies, I read -devel through gmane.)

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:

> yes yes, but
> this file is 30kb
> yui package is 7Mb

Then you should submit a request for splitting yui up a bit, perhaps
into libjs-yui-doc, libjs-yui-animation, libjs-yui-assets and so on.

There is already an open bug for this: #510168. I was thinking about splitting the docs and examples out atleast. That would reduce the size substantially. I don't know if it makes sense to do so for the assets etc. as it is unlikely that the widgets would be used without them unless you were writing your own theme or something. As for the widgets, I invite ideas for how exactly to divide them up.

I also note that the yui source package doesn't contain the yui src/
directory, which can be found here:

http://yuiblog.com/blog/2009/01/14/github/
http://github.com/yui/yui2/tree/master

Personally I don't think the build/ directory in the yui orig.tar.gz
is 'source code' in the spirit of the phrase. Obviously that is just
my interpretation, others will have different opinions.

At the time the package was last updated, the git repository wasn't publically accessible. Now that it is I agree it is a better "source" for the source. However I should note that if you just want to see the uncompressed/unobfuscated javascript code, that is already included in the package. Each widget comes in three flavors, widget-min.js is the compressed version, widget.js is the uncompressed version, and widget-debug.js has added support for logging to a javascript debugger.

CCing the YUI maintainers.

It looks like you didn't. Cc and mail-followup-to to pkg-javascript-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org added.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>