Re: percentage of popcon submitters

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:05:47AM +0100, Kjeldgaard Morten wrote:
> Hundreds of machines accessing proxies, and thousands having
> private IPs. Are these numbers something you know or are you just
> throwing them around? Otherwise they can of course be accounted
> for in the total estimate ;-)

I could count mine with wc -l (I have to maintain a list to kick off
aptitude runs on them all). As for Russ, I'm sure he could at least
analyze his mirror's access logs for a more precise value if he
wanted to, just as someone with access to the s.d.o logs might. The
bigger issue is that there are almost certainly enough sites like
ours to make them a drop in the bucket, skewing the measure downward
fairly significantly.

Economies of scale, security, bandwidth costs, IPv4 runout, et
cetera assure that the more Debian machines running at a given
location, the less likely it is that you'll be able to count them
externally without popcon or somethig similar installed (and as has
been discussed, these are the same ones who are less likely to
install it site-wide anyway). The most I expect you can hope for
here is a relatively reasonable lower bound on actively-updated
systems. If "there are probably at least X number of Debian systems
on the Internet, but maybe many more" isn't a sufficiently useful
statement for you, you might be out of luck.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);