Re: percentage of popcon submitters

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:45:12 +0100
> Kjeldgaard Morten <mok@bioxray.au.dk> wrote:
>

>> > Thanks. Unless you setup some experimental method, any argument
>> > should reduce
>> > to handwaving or extension of various particular examples..
>>
>> Surely, it must be possible to get an estimate of the number of
>> downloads of important packages and security updates? I know these
>> downloads also are requested from mirror sites, but at least for the
>> official mirror sites their relative activity must be known?
>
> How do you map the number of downloads to the number of users or
> machines?

It would establish an upper bound of well-administrated debian machines,
I think.

> I have dozens of chroots that I use for multiple reasons.

Good point.  I wonder how much these contribute to the overall
statistics though.  Alternatively, one could argue relatively convincing
that a chroot with a complete debian system should be counted as another
debian installation.  Compare with virtual machines, which is rather
similar to a chroot installation on a normal PC.

/Simon