Re: Test Debian : IPv6 pitfalls ?

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 20:25 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On dim, 2008-10-05 at 16:38 +0200, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > Feel free to improve or comment them.
>
> Not sure if it's the right place to comment, but I wonder how can
> “Enable Ipv6” be classified as “Medium Risk”.

I wanted to have IPv6 on this page so people experiment it. (Having a
feature enabled in Debian doesn't means that every user know how to use
it. Which can cause disruption of service).

BTW, As you may notice, I have deliberately omitted the "low risk"
section.

> It's something you may not have power on (if your netadmin or ISP
> decides to enable IPv6, it's their choice, not yours. You can
> *disable* it but, it's enabled by default anyway (thanksfully))

I my mind "enabling IPv6" include ISP and router reconfiguration.

So the "risk" questions are :
- Can a service become unavailable because of IPv6 ? (including
  side-effects, or remote sites that have broken IPv6 configuration,
  causing unavailability).
- How long and how difficult is to recover the situation ?
- Network security (no NAT, so inner systems are exposed by default)

The second point is especially true for people that do simple web/mail
hosting. Messing-up DNS can take time to recover.

Anybody aware of bad end-user IPv6 experience ?
Anybody feels like improving IPv6 wiki page[1] to explain those pitfalls
(if any) ?

Thanks,

Franklin

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6