Re: Change the format of /usr/share/bug/*/script

Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 09:37:02PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Luca Bruno <lethalman88@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> First solution: change the scripts to use a bash function instead of cat <<EOF, like yesno() create a function display() without hacking cat() and keep going using a FIFO to deal with the UI
>>> Second solution: I don't know, I'm asking to you
>>>
>> I'd suggest reviewing all the scripts in use and determining if they
>> can become non-interactive.
>>
>> If not, perhaps something based on debconf would be good, since it has
>> various frontends, including GNOME & KDE?
>>
> And debian-installer is useing it for a quite similar purpose.
> +1 for using debconf/cdebconf

(I have no vote in this, but...)

Plus, we already have the needed infrastructure to localize all prompts
to the user.
And we have the means to show most kinds of "widgets" (yesno / select /
note / etc) in a frontend-independent way.
Additionally, we already have the means to make those "silent" (i.e.
noninteractive) via preseeding

... and having less code to maintain is always good, indeed.
(this means reportbug's UI would just need to provide a debconf frontend
for this to work as opposed to the full infrastructure)

Just my two cents

    J.L.